High quality segmentation of CT scan data is the essential foundation upon which patient-specific reconstructive implants are designed.
From data import, through to thresholding and anatomy isolation, segmentation plays an essential role as part of a robust design workflow.
In this video, we take a closer look at these thresholding options and the effects they have on segmenting anatomy, including:
• Units and tissue density
• Small and thin bones such as the orbital bones
• Boolean Operations
• Isolating anatomical structures
• Peel S., Eggbeer D., Dorrington P. (2020) Standardizing the patient-specific medical device design process via a paper-based pro-forma. Journal of Design, Business & Society special medical issue. 6(2):233-258.
• Peel, S., Bhatia, S., Eggbeer, D., Morris, D., Hayhurst, C. (2017) Evolution of design considerations in complex craniofacial reconstruction using patient-specific implants. 231(6):509-524. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine.
• Peel S., Eggbeer D., Sugar A., Evans P. (2016). Post Traumatic Zygomatic Osteotomy and Orbital Floor Reconstruction Using Digital Tools and 3D-Printing – A Case Report. Rapid Prototyping Journal. 22(6): 878-886.
• Bibb R, Eggbeer D, Paterson A, “Medical modelling: the application of advanced design and development technologies in medicine”, 2nd edition, Elsevier (Woodhead), Cambridge, UK, January 2015, ISBN 978-1-78242-300-3,
• Mustafa SF, Evans PL, Bocca A, Patton DW, Sugar AW, Baxter PW. Customized titanium reconstruction of post-traumatic orbital wall defects: a review of 22 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg (2011), 40(12): 1357-1362.
• Robinson G*, Peel S*. A Rapid Prototype (RP) jigsaw technique in the manufacture of a titanium orbital floor implant. 25th Scientific Congress of The Institute Of Maxillofacial Prosthetists and Technologists. 7th-9th September, 2011. Birmingham, UK. *presented
• Bibb R, Eggbeer D, Bocca A, Evans P, Sugar AW, “Chapter 15: A custom-fitting surgical guide”, in Kau CH & Richmond S (eds)
Three-Dimensional Imaging for Orthodontics and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2010, Wiley-Blackwell, London, UK, ISBN-13: 978-1405162401, pp 243-252
•Bibb R, Eggbeer D, Evans P, Bocca A, Sugar AW, “Rapid Manufacture of Custom Fitting Surgical Guides”, Rapid Prototyping Journal 2009; 15(5): 346-354,
Take the course
Sign up to our newsletter in the footer of this page to be notified when our course enrollment next opens!